What is the course about?
This course will analyse some key historical and cultural aspects of this fascinating period in the history of Spain.
What will we cover?
- Intercultural relations among the Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities.
- The legacy of this period in the national identity of the Spanish people today.
- The different interpretations which have been offered of the culture of Muslim Spain.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify key historical events of this period.
- Reflect critically on the complexity of the cultural exchanges that took place among the Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities during this period and on the legacy of al-Andalus in modern Spain.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable if you have an intermediate level of Spanish (if you have completed 3 or 4 years of Spanish).
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All the materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other Spanish advanced courses. Please call Languages on 020 7492 244 for advice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details