What is the course about?
All the Indian religions agree with the concept of a soul. However, Hinduism is theistic (believes in a powerful god) while Jainism stands with Buddhism as a non-theistic religion, but with different interpretations of a soul.
All brought new ideas to the world in terms of science:
• Jainism’s concept of multitudes of infinity and its prediction of microorganisms
• Buddhism and the scientific basis of consciousness and the impact of mind on body
• Hinduism’s introduction of the zero symbol, the decimal system and the invention of cataract surgery.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- The history of Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism.
- The fundamental principles of the three religions, their similarity and philosophical differences.
- The connection of Indian religions and modern science.
- The current status of the religions and their practice and their relation to problems of the modern world.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- State the historical and cultural context for the Indian Religions.
- Explain the principles underpinning each religion.
- Reflect on the relation of religions to current world problems.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is designed for beginners or intermediate learners with little or no experience of the material. It will appeal to all those who would like to find out about Indian religions. It is anticipated that participants will come to the course with an open mind and be respectful to others of all faiths or none.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Online tutor presentations, virtual group exercises.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs or requirements.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
See City Lit's website for details of all religious studies courses currently available.