What is the course about?
Our body performs amazing feats every day. This workshop aims to provide you with a basic understanding of how the body works by exploring some of its major systems and how they interact with each other to benefit the health of the whole anatomy. The class is open to those with a general interest level as well as those wishing to progress to a more advanced level or a diploma in massage or complementary therapies.
What will we cover?
- Investigate structures and functions of the body systems
- Discuss causes and effects of some common health conditions
- Learn some anatomical terms to describe the body.
The course will give a brief overview of the structure and functions of some of the following systems:
- the skin
- the skeletal system including joints
- the muscular system
- the respiratory system
- the cardio vascular system
- the lymphatic system
- the digestive system
- the genito-urinary system
- the endocrine system
- the nervous system
This course will give an insight into how various systems interact with each other and work co-dependently, and also look at various dysfunctions and diseases.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Explain the basic functions and structures of some of the major body systems
- Name and locate some major organs, bones, joints and muscles
- Explain some causes and effects of some common health conditions
- Explain how the different body systems influence each other
- Use some correct anatomical terminology.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is introductory and is taught at an interest level. You should be able to write a short text; locate information from handouts, books and the internet; listen and identify main points and participate in discussions.
This course is essential for those wishing to apply for the ITEC Anatomy & Physiology or ITEC Holistic Massage diploma.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Lecture with diagrams and charts; talks, discussion, and practical exercises in the form of group and pairs activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pen, paper and highlighters to the sessions. Handouts will be provided on the day.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- ITEC level 3 massage diploma
- ITEC anatomy and physiology
- other Health courses at City Lit.