What is the course about?
Japanese Anime is one of the most popular international animation forms with its own distinctive visual style. On this practical course you will not only learn how to develop an engaging character that is able to express personality and emotion but you will learn how to replicate it from different camera angles, and ensure that it’s fit for the character’s animated movement.
What will we cover?
- An overview of successful Anime character styles
- Common face and body shapes that make up an Anime character
- Understanding how much detail to include
- Drawing eyes to express emotion and personality
- Dressing your character to make it fit for movement
- Drawing your character from different angles
- Drawing your character expressing different emotions
- Drawing and Colouring your character using Adobe Illustrator CC.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- be aware of Anime character styles
- create common face and body shapes that make up an Anime character
- draw eyes to express emotion and personality
- dress your character to make it fit for movement
- draw your character from different angles
- draw your character expressing different emotions
- render your drawn character using Adobe Illustrator CC.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in VG304 Digital animation for beginners. City Lit offer a range of courses in Illustration, Graphic Design, Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign to enhance your illustration and design practice.