What is the course about?
The course aims to enable students to communicate simply in Arabic, to understand and use the language for travel or social purposes and to enjoy and appreciate the cultural background of Arabic-speaking countries.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Greetings, asking about meaning and pronunciation of words, numbers, the alphabet, food and drink, personal information, identifying and describing people.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- introduce yourself, say hello and goodbye
- identify objects and ask about meaning of words, use the alphabet
- give and ask for basic information about yourself and others
- describe and identify people
- order in a restaurant
- buy items in a shop.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge of Arabic is required.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Teacher's own material.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please speak to your tutor or contact the Languages Department on 020 7492 2644.