What is the course about?
This course will enable you to converse in basic everyday situations in Arabic and continue with the written form of the language.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Topics: Talking about your family and your job and expressing your feelings. Describe things using adjectives.
Reading & understanding Arabic script.
Grammar: articles "the" and "a"; regular plurals, preposition of places, 'idafa', possessives.
Conjugate the present tense with singular pronouns e.g. "to have", "to live", "to study" ," to work", "to like", " to speak".
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use the letters of the alphabet to read and write
- Talk about your family e.g I have a big/small family
- Talk about jobs
- Express your feelings e.g I'm happy/sad
- Describe things using adjectives
- Use verbs in the present with singular pronouns.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for near beginners. Also suitable for students who have attended a short intensive course in Arabic
(e.g.LA001) or have a basic knowledge of the language .
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide, or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
To be discussed with the tutor in the first class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Arabic beginners module 2.