Fashion, sewing and clothes making
Fashion at City Lit offers a range of practical courses, with high quality teaching delivered by specialist tutors in our well-equipped studio.
• Learn essential sewing skills, both hand sewing and machine skills.
• Make your own clothes on a range of courses, that progress from beginners to intermediate and advanced, developing your sewing and garment construction skills.
• Learn specialist skills such as professional finishing techniques, fashion sketchbook, leatherwork, accessories and embellishment.
• Be part of a supportive, creative and fun learning environment to exchange knowledge and skills between experts and peers. Tutors offer group and 1:1 teaching.
• Study courses throughout the year; day, evening and weekend, from short intensives to series of 6 to 10 week courses with progression options to help you develop your skills over the year(s).
Any questions? Contact our visual arts team on 020 7492 2700 Monday - Friday between 10am - 5pm.
Course Date: Tue 10 Apr 2018
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetStart the new season with a custom-made messenger bag! Learn to adapt a pattern, cut out, attach buckles and other fittings, and construct your own bag in firm hide, incorporating fabric if you wish. Tutor: Katherine Pogson.Full fee: £229.00Senior fee: £229.00Concession: £140.00
Course Date: Sun 15 Apr 2018
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetAn introduction to the world of embroidery and embellishment. Explore a concept of your choice through experimentation with embroidery and embellishment techniques using hand and machine methods.Full fee: £149.00Senior fee: £119.00Concession: £91.00
Course Date: Fri 20 Apr 2018 (and 1 other date)
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetLearn how to make your own clothes. This beginner's course will teach you how to use the sewing machine, as well as basic sewing techniques and processes. Start by sampling, then construct a simple garment.Full fee: £199.00Senior fee: £199.00Concession: £121.00
Course Date: Thu 26 Apr 2018
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetWant to advance your skills? This course will enable you to develop your clothes making skills in order to sew a trouser, enhance your finish and create a new and professionally finished addition to your wardrobe Suitable for both mens and ladieswear. Not suitable for beginners.Full fee: £299.00Senior fee: £299.00Concession: £182.00
Course Date: Tue 1 May 2018 (and 1 other date)
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetLearn essential sewing skills. Use a needle and thread, scissors and pins to make basic stitches. Progress to using a sewing machine safely and confidently to make simple seams and hems and insert a zip.Full fee: £139.00Senior fee: £111.00Concession: £85.00
Course Date: Sun 6 May 2018
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetBring your own sewing project and be guided by an industry professional. Skills you could develop include - altering patterns to fit, couture sewing techniques, or guidance with creating a more complicated garment from a pattern.Full fee: £199.00Senior fee: £159.00Concession: £121.00
Course Date: Mon 14 May 2018
Location on this date: KS - Keeley StreetPractice working with silk, fine or any luxury fabric to sew a summer dress or party wear from a pattern. Learn how to cut, sew and work neatly. Suitable for those with some sewing experience.Full fee: £179.00Senior fee: £179.00Concession: £109.00