What is the course about?
An introduction to the use of the sketchbook as a visual diary of your experiences, interests and visual experiments. You will explore ways of recording and developing ideas and experiment with composition. This will involve drawing and working in mixed media using a variety of materials, both in the studio and on location. You will be encouraged to discover and pursue your personal means of expression.
What will we cover?
- How others have produced exploratory work and sketchbooks.
- Visual language - the use of line, tone, texture, shape, form, colour and the implications of composition.
- Working on location as well as in the studio.
- The generation of personal themes that may fuel one or two larger works in the studio.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Have increased confidence when experimenting with materials and techniques.
- Gather information in the studio and on location.
- Develop ideas for composition/final works.
- Develop materials and media towards personal ends.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is designed both for those with basic drawing skills and for more advanced students who wish to develop and enhance a personal means of enquiry and expression, through sketchbook work.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Examples of sketchbooks will be shown. Demonstrations of methods and techniques will be given. There will also be practical exercises, handouts, one-to-one discussion and tuition, and informal group presentations and reviews.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic drawing materials for the course are provided. Please bring an A4 hardback sketchbook and any preferred drawing media you may have, to the first session. You will need a variety of materials, to be advised during the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The sketchbook course is designed to help you explore and develop your own initiatives through drawing and mixed-media, and paves the way for further development in the visual arts, such as drawing, painting, textiles and 3D work.
Your tutor can advise you on the right course for you to progress onto.