Time: 10:30 - 16:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: PA751
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course will help you to use assertive behaviour, a powerful communication tool, to deal more effectively with interpersonal difficulties that may arise in your life. Throughout the classes you'll learn about the skills associated with assertiveness, gaining an understanding of the theory and putting it into practice.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Identification of assertive and non-assertive behaviours
- Understanding the rights and responsibilities of an assertive person
- Making a request
- Giving and receiving compliments
- Learning how to say ‘No’
- Receiving criticism assertively
- Giving feedback assertively.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Differentiate between assertive and non-assertive behaviour
- Describe the rights and responsibilities of an assertive person
- Apply some assertiveness skills in class activities
- Plan a personal assertiveness strategy to use beyond the course.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge is required. This course is suitable if you are completely new to assertiveness work or as a
refresher if you have done some training before. We ask that you come willing to participate in the discussions
and practical exercises. You will need to speak and read English fluently. Please check if you are unsure of your
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will work individually, in pairs and groups while both learning the theory and practising assertiveness skills.
There will be tutor presentations and handouts. As the course unfolds, the tutor will work flexibly to respond to
the needs of the group while still meeting course objectives.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a notebook and pen. All other materials are provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Related courses at City Lit include the following: Assertiveness at work; Assertiveness in relationships; Anger without aggression; Anger – cool head or hot head; Personal power; Raising your self-esteem; Transforming personal conflict; Dealing with difficult people; Bullying and intimidation at work. You may also want to enrol on other personal development, counselling or psychology courses at City Lit.