What is the course about?
This is an online interactive course on how to prepare and deliver self tapes across all styles and genres, including how to prepare for live audition processes and recalls.
Watch student testimonials: here.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
How to prepare for and deal with the technical requirements of auditioning in front of a camera. How to self-tape effectively.
We will cover:
• The practical requirements of self-taping.
• The subtle variations between taping for Film, Television and Commercials.
• Quick and effective delivery.
• Speed line learning for last minute auditions.
• The live audition process, what to expect and how to thrive in those conditions.
• Common mistakes made when taping and auditioning.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use good acting technique to respond to the challenge of any script.
• Extract relevant information from character break-downs provided, to produce the character required for the audition.
• Critically and constructively assess performance.
• Increased confidence in your ability to perform in the audition environment.
• Perform rehearsed scenes in an audition environment and self-tape.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal if you have completed our screen acting classes or have equivalent experience elsewhere.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen actively and communicate clearly.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Read and analyse scripts to find meaning and clarity.
• Take notes.
• Show a practical understanding of Relationships, Motivation, Previous circumstances and Destinations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Online through discussion, practical presenting and Q & A. You will be working on real scripts supplied by the tutor and you will get to film and watch back audition scenes. You will get to self-tape, watch back, self-critique, and receive tutor feed back. You will be able to bring in your own audition pieces and film them.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A notebook and pen would be useful.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a wide range of courses in screen acting and television presenting, as well as more general courses in acting and theatre for actors at all stages of their development.