What is the course about?
This course will equip you with the skills to help you become fully confident on how to manage, organise and search for files on a local computer and across a work network, identify the different file types and perform basic to advanced searches using the Microsoft Windows built-in search tools. You will learn the skills needed to better protect your information, personal details and files, and keep them secure using password protection, backup and restore commands. In addition, you will learn the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• organising and managing a variety of files and folders on your hard drive and across a network
• identifying different file types and sizes
• performing effective and efficient searches from basic to advanced - including using file names, document content and wildcards (such as % and *)
• password protecting your files
• backing up and restoring your files
• understanding and identifying the latest General Data Protection Regulation requirements.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Organise and manage a variety of files and folders on your hard drive and across a network so they are easy to trace
• identify different file types and sizes
• perform effective and efficient searches from basic to advanced - including using file names, document content and wildcards (such as % and *)
• password protect your files
• back up and restoring your files effectively
• understand and identify the latest General Data Protection Regulation requirements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at those who already have some basic familiarity with the computer - for example, those who have completed our Becoming Confident on your Computer - and want to improve these skills to become fully confident in computer and in the workplace.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs. A memory stick may also be helpful.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is part of our Complete Course for Beginners series. We recommend completing these courses to gain a good foundation in digital skills. Other parts of this programme are:
a) Becoming confident on your computer
b) Becoming confident on the Internet: setting up, searching, security, safety
c) Becoming confident with emails and internet communication
c) Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
d) Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating
e) Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
We particularly recommend the last two courses (d) and (e) as complements to this course.
Other good progression courses include: Level 1 ECDL award (with a qualification), Digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and Smartphone, Learning to use your smartphone (Android), Learning to use your iPhone and Digital skills to find a better job. We also run a range of courses in Microsoft Office programs specifically designed to help you in the workplace. You may also be in interested in our administrator courses - How to be an administrator: the essentials, How to be an administrator: time management skills, How to be an administrator: the paperless office, Office 365: an introduction.
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you and which level you are at. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.