Becoming confident in file management on your PC
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: CW8FW01
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will equip you with the skills to help you become fully confident on how to save, manage, organise and search for files on your PC, across a work network and the cloud. You will learn how to identify the different file types and perform basic to advanced searches using the Microsoft Windows built-in search tools. You will learn the skills needed to better protect your information, personal details and files, and keep them secure using password protection, backup and restore commands. In addition, you will learn the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
What will we cover?
• saving, organising and managing a variety of files and folders on your hard drive, across a network and the cloud
• identifying different file types and sizes
• performing effective and efficient searches from basic to advanced - including using file names, document content and wildcards (such as % and *)
• password protecting your files
• backing up and restoring your files
• understanding and identifying the latest General Data Protection Regulation requirements.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• organise and manage a variety of files and folders on your hard drive, across a network and on the cloud so they are easy to trace
• identify different file types and sizes
• perform effective and efficient searches from basic to advanced - including using file names, document content and wildcards (such as % and *)
• password protect your files
• back up and restoring your files effectively
• understand and identify the latest General Data Protection Regulation requirements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at those who already have some basic familiarity with the computer - for example, those who have completed our Becoming Confident on your computer and online - who want to improve these skills to become fully confident in file use on your computer and in the workplace.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Becoming confident with online communication: Zoom
• Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
• Making sense of Windows 10
• Becoming a MORE confident digital citizen: online and on your computer
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating (Google)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating (One Drive)
• Learning to use your iPhone
• Learning to use your smartphone (Android)
• Becoming confident on Office 365 and its most important apps: an introduction
• Becoming confident in Excel 365
• Becoming confident on Outlook 365
• Becoming confident on Word 365
• Becoming confident on PowerPoint 365
There also many English, maths and office skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.