What is the course about?
This course will help you transition from relying on sending emails to learning how to share and manage files. You will become confident in the principles of cloud use specifically using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Forms. You will learn the different ways of sharing documents, how to co-edit them, keep control over co-editing, how to maintain security, how to manage your shared files. You will focus on how to use Google forms and use these to collate data. We will look at specific features of the Google package, which can be used as a free alternative to Microsoft Office. We will also look at other apps and add ons which can be added to your enhance your documents. We will also look at alternatives to the Google cloud system including Dropbox and Flick and how to sync your devices safely and securely.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• the transition from sending emails with attachments to sharing and managing files
• the principles of Cloud use specifically using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Forms
• the different ways of sharing documents, co-editing them, keeping control over co-editing,
• maintaining security, managing your shared files
• how to use Google forms to collate data
• specific features of the Google package, which can be used as a free alternative to Microsoft Office
• making use of other apps and add ons which can be added to your enhance your documents
• alternatives to the Google Cloud system including Dropbox and Flickr
• how to sync your devices safely and securely.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be more confident in the sharing of files rather than sending emails and attachments
• articulate the principles of Cloud use specifically using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Forms
• confidently use the different ways of sharing documents including co-editing them
• keep control over the co-editing process including tracking changes
• maintain security of your files and apply principles of cyber security to them
• manage your shared files effectively
• use Google forms to collate data
• use specific features of the Google package, which can be used as a free alternative to Microsoft Office
• make use of other apps and add ons which can be added to your enhance your documents
• use alternatives to the Google Cloud system including Dropbox and Flickr
• sync your devices and apps safely and securely.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a post-beginners’ course and aimed at those who are beginning to use the Cloud and would like to do so more confidently. Learners should be confident on the Internet and in using email. Those who are not should attend our Complete Course for Beginners programme .
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical hands-on course taught online using Zoom or Google Meet. You will perform tasks in class, which reflect office and work-based activities and be encouraged to practise as much as possible. You will receive regular handouts and information via Google classroom. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
You will need your own computer with MS Office, preferably 2016 or later, a good internet connection and a microphone, the use of a webcam for video is optional. Mac users can also take part in this course but will have to adapt to some keyboard and tab differences. Your tutor will discuss the concepts of all the tools used and will demonstrate their uses. The course will challenge you to become more independent in your learning and less dependent on your notes/hand –outs and work colleagues.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of other courses you could do either at the same time or after this course. A digital citizen: becoming MORE confident on your computer and the Internet is an excellent course to do. We have a number of courses on Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint many of which are specifically geared to helping you in the workplace. We also have Making sense of Windows 10, IT Skills for the Office: an introduction, Digital skills to find a better job. We have a number of courses with qualifications including Essential Digital Skills for Work Level 1, ECDL Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. You can try Pathway to ECDL if you are unsure if you want to do a qualification course straight away.
We have many other digital skills courses. Your tutor will advise you on the best course. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.