Becoming confident with digital skills: on your computer and online (beginner)
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
What is the course about?
This course will ensure you have all the essential digital skills you need to be able to use a PC and the internet confidently and to be able to move to more in depth, specialist digital skills courses. You will learn the key features of digital files and documents including Word and photos. You will practise creating, developing, saving and storing these files as well as learning essential terminology. You will develop your ability to use the internet effectively to find relevant information and use this information to enhance other documents you have created. You will also focus on which are the key websites you need in everyday life. You will practise how to host meetings on Zoom and take advantages of its most useful features. And you will learn about cyber-security and how to ensure your files are protected and your digital information remains secure.
What will we cover?
• understanding and using essential computer terminology
•identifying and creating different types of files for texts, pictures, sound and video
• saving, storing and finding files on your computer and online
• creating, editing and sharing different documents such as letters or photographs e.g. using Word
• searching and finding information on the Internet
• adding, copying and editing online information into documents
•communicating online via Zoom - creating an account, setting up meetings, inviting participants
•staying safe and secure online and on Zoom
•keeping your files safe with antivirus, firewalls and other security devices.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use computers with confidence
•use the internet with confidence
•use Zoom with confidence
• understand and use essential computer terminology
•identify and create different types of files for texts, pictures, sound and video
• save, store and find files on your computer and online
• create, edit and share different documents such as letters or photographs e.g. using Word
• search and find information on the Internet
• add, copy and edit online information into documents
•communicate online via Zoom - create an account, set up meetings, invite participants
•stay safe and secure online and on Zoom
•keep your files safe with antivirus, firewalls and other security devices.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course and aimed at those who need to build up their confidence on a computer and using the Internet. If you are a complete beginner, we recommend our Complete beginners: becoming confident on your computer and online.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a folder to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online. Access to a PC outside of class is helpful.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is part of our Becoming Confident series for beginners. We recommend completing these courses to gain a full foundation in digital skills. These include:
• Becoming confident with online communication: Zoom
• Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident on Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident in digital skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (beginner)
• Becoming confident in file management and Windows 10 on your PC (beginners)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and working with files (OneDrive)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and working with files (Google)
• Becoming confident and secure with mobile data: safely managing and syncing your files and accounts across your computer, smartphone and tablet
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
You may also progress onto our accredited course:
• Essential digital skills for work (level 1).
There also many English, maths and employability skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details. These include:
• Develop your English: grammar foundation (level 1-2)
• A mile in my shoes: how to tell a story (level 1-2)
• Develop your English: reading, thinking, discussing (level 1-2)
• Develop your confidence in writing: sentence formation, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
• Develop your confidence in writing through grammar (level 1-2)
• Becoming confident in algebra: problem-solving with equations (level 1-2)
• Becoming confident in numbers: mental maths (level 1-2).