What is the course about?
This course focuses on how different digital devices 'communicate' with one another. We will look at file management across different devices, how you can protect and secure your data on multiple devices, how to download and store data on your phone or the cloud and sync your mobile devices. You will never lose a photo, song, contact or document again!
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• using and understanding key terminology and jargon
• creating an online storage account on your smartphone
• synchronising your phone to an account or a computer
• backing up and restoring your smartphone
• explaining the advantages and disadvantages of using cloud storage rather that a computer or a tablet.
• creating synchronised passwords or phrases
• determining the different operating systems and the type of synchronising that can be used.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be confident in your shared use multiple digital devices
• use and understand key terminology and jargon
• create an online storage account on your smartphone
• synchronise your phone to an account or a computer
• back up and restore your smartphone
• explain the advantages and disadvantages of using cloud storage rather that a computer or a tablet.
• create synchronised passwords or phrases
• determine the different operating systems and the type of synchronising that can be used.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who are already using a PC and mobile devices but have become confused about their file and data management. If you need to know the essentials of file management and smartphone use, it would be good idea to complete our Becoming confident in file management on your PC and Learning to use your smartphone (Android) courses.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical hands-on course taught online using Zoom or Google Meet. You will perform tasks in class and will be encouraged to practise as much as possible. You will receive regular handouts and information via Google classroom. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
You will need your own computer ,smartphone or a tablet, a good internet connection and a microphone, the use of a webcam for video is optional. Your tutor will discuss the concepts of all the tools used and will demonstrate their uses. The course ia aimed at challenging you to become more independent in your learning and less dependent on your notes/hand –outs.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your android device and you might also be find it helpful to have your other mobile devices you use e.g. laptop or tablet.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is part of our Complete Course for Beginners series. We recommend completing these courses to gain a good foundation in digital skills. Other parts of this programme are:
a) Becoming confident on your computer
b) Becoming confident on the Internet: setting up, searching, security, safety
c) Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
d) Becoming confident in file management on your PC
e) Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating
f) Digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and Smartphone would also be a good additional course.
We also run a range of courses in Microsoft Office programs specifically designed to help you in the workplace. You may also be in interested in our administrator courses - How to be an administrator: the essentials, How to be an administrator: time management skills, How to be an administrator: the paperless office, Office 365: an introduction.
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you and which level you are at.
You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 / 2726 or email: email@example.com to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.