What is the course about?
This is a course which will take you through the making of a painting from beginning studies to a final piece, considering the different stages involved. A variety of projects, working from both representation and abstraction, will develop your handling of the medium and build confidence in image-making with paint. You will be able to follow set painting projects and /or develop your own ideas in painting building upon the momentum in the studio.
What will we cover?
This course will cover
• colour palette and development of paint application
• composition, subject matter and selection of imagery,
• making studies as an exploration of ideas,
• a variety of painting materials and techniques.
• looking and being focused
• critical and verbal skills through the discussion of work
• building momentum to a final piece and evaluation of work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• understand the process of developing a painting from start to finish.
• improve paint handling technique
• have increased confidence selecting and developing subject matter and making compositions
• take the momentum from this course into new projects
• begin to discuss painting with confidence and appropriate vocabulary.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for Beginners and for intermediate level students who want to refresh their painting skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
One to one tuition, group exercises, group discussion, question and answer and slide shows.
No compulsory homework will be set.
This is a practical painting course, which also includes in-class digital presentations and class discussions. Handouts and demonstrations will accompany visual presentations. Individual practical projects will encourage creative thinking and problem solving. Group critiques and discussions will help broaden vocabulary while bringing more confidence when talking about art. One-on-one tuition will be a major factor in developing your own specific artwork and practice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All basic painting materials are included in the cost.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off
everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VM513 Painting 1, VM519 Painting 2, VM930 Painting Club, VM640 Painting and the creative imagination.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details