What is the course about?
This course is workshop based so will enable students who already have experience in book arts to develop their personal projects conceptually and technically with one-to-one support from the tutor. Students can bring projects they are already working on or ideas they would like to develop.
What will we cover?
- Working independently on book arts projects
- Developing book arts skills conceptually and technically
- Using tools and equipment available in the bindery
- One-to-one tutorials with the tutor.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Work independently on personal projects
- Develop and practice book arts skills
- Manage your own learning in consultation with the tutors
- Develop studio practice and independent bench work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is workshop-based for students with experience in creating artists' books.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through one-to-one tutorial advice from your tutor. There may also be opportunities for group discussion. It is expected that students will come to the class with work to discuss.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are workshop tools that can be used in class but you are encouraged to bring your own toolkit if you have one. If you want to use specific materials for the project you are working on then please bring them with you. In addition, there are basic materials; a variety of papers, boards and cloths, available to purchase in class.
Need art supplies? Our partner London Graphic Centre has everything you need from pencils to printing services, at 15% off.
To get an LGC discount card, students will need to show proof/ confirmation of enrolment of them being a student at City Lit. You can apply for our card in-store or by simply emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a scan or photo of relevant confirmation. The student discount does not apply to products that are already discounted or on offer. More information can be found here- https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/student-discounts/.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- VD292 Bookbinding: Learn to bind artists' books
- VD441 Creative arts for bookbinding III: papercutting
- VD285 Bookbinding: cross-structure and criss-cross bindings
- VD290 Bookbinding: paper engineering and pop-ups.