What is the course about?
On this course you will learn how to create digital designs from hand drawn botanical illustrations for use in textiles, illustration and graphics. You will start with developing your botanical drawing skills using traditional techniques. You will then learn how to scan your images and enhance and transform them using the professional software Adobe Illustrator. This offers you the opportunity to create versatile digital versions of your designs for use across different disciplines and enhance your professional portfolio.
What will we cover?
- Drawing Forms from Nature
- Colour Mixing
- Rendering details, textures and pattern
- Scanning images
- Placing into Illustrator
- Tracing and manipulating
- Creating repeated patterns
- Saving work using the appropriate format.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw botanical subjects with scientific accuracy
- Mix colours to correspond with observed colours
- Successfully execute tonal gradation, texture and pattern
- Trace images into Adobe Illustrator
- Create repeated patterns
- Manipulate into graphic designs
- Save work using the appropriate format.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The level is advanced. You will be expected to have done a beginners course in drawing or have some experience in representational drawing. You are also expected to have some experience in using a computer for finding, opening and saving files, and using drop down menus.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
You will be taught using a range of techniques including, demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in digital Illustration work.
You will be encouraged to practice and develop ideas between classes and will receive instructions about this in the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Please bring in a memory stick or portable hard drive on which to back up your digital work, please note most PC formatted memory sticks and hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but some cannot be not written to.
- If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills in drawing from nature further with VK440 Natural history illustration and digital illustration skills with VK480 Photoshop for illustration: intensive. City Lit offer a range of courses in Graphic Design, Illustration, Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign to enhance your Illustration practice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details