What is the course about?
This course is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language at level 2 standard within a range of everyday topics. The course leads to the Level 2 Certificate in BSL, accredited by the Signature awarding body. The qualification comprises three units: receptive, productive and conversational skills.
You will have the opportunity to undertake the examinations for these three units within the course. The assessments may take place either online or face to face. If the assessment takes place online, it will be via Zoom. If the face to face process is used, it will be on a one to one basis with your course tutor.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will learn receptive, productive and conversational skills at level 2 in the following topic areas:
- everyday conversation
- daily social / work / school routines
- eating and drinking
- shopping and spending
- travel and holidays
- BSL grammatical structure and features.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Demonstrate usage of BSL at level 2 by:
- showing a wide range of vocabulary
- using correct and clear hand shapes
- using suitable facial expressions with signs
- conducting a conversation with a deaf person
- showing turn-taking and asking for clarification
- telling a short story
- answering questions on a short signed story.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is at level 2. You will be invited to a 1-1 interview with our BSL Level 2 co-ordinator to make sure that this course is suitable for you. The interview will take place via Zoom.
You will need to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and read topics and instructions for examinations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught remotely by a teacher who will be in the classroom at City Lit. Classes will be taught using Zoom. Teaching delivery methods will include:
• Interactive taught sessions
• Pair/group work – using breakout rooms
• Questions and answers
• Receptive skills from online video clips.
• Google classroom for resource
• 1 to 1 feedback sessions with your teacher
You will be expected to practice your BSL skills at home as homework.
You will have access to resources on Signworld Online which you will be asked to refer to for homework – there are no additional costs for this.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully in pass the Signature Level 2 assessments, you can apply to join a level 3 certificate in BSL course.