What is the course about?
This course is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language at level 2 standard within a range of everyday topics. The course leads to the Level 2 Certificate in BSL, accredited by Signature award body. The qualification comprises three units: receptive, productive and conversational skills. You will have the opportunity to undertake the examinations for these three units within the course.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will learn receptive, productive and conversational skills at level 2 in the following topic areas:
- everyday conversation
- daily social / work / school routines
- eating and drinking
- shopping and spending
- travel and holidays
- BSL grammatical structure and features.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Demonstrate usage of BSL at level 2 by:
- showing a wide range of vocabulary
- using correct and clear hand shapes
- using suitable facial expressions with signs
- conducting a conversation with a deaf person
- showing turn-taking and asking for clarification
- telling a short story
- answering questions on a short signed story.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is at level 2.
You will need to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and read topics and instructions for examinations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- pair/group work
- questions and answers
- role play
- conduct a conversation
- receptive skills from DVDs.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
DVDs and books are available for loan from the City Lit library.
'SignworldLearn' on-line resource is included in the course fee.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully in pass the Signature Level 2 assessments, you can progress to a level 3 certificate in BSL course.