What is the course about?
This course is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language at level 2 standard within a range of everyday topics. The course leads to the Level 2 Certificate in BSL, accredited by Signature award body. The qualification comprises three units: receptive, productive and conversational skills. You will have the opportunity to undertake the examinations for these three units within the course.
What will we cover?
You will learn receptive, productive and conversational skills at level 2 in the following topic areas:
- everyday conversation
- daily social / work / school routines
- eating and drinking
- shopping and spending
- travel and holidays
- BSL grammatical structure and features.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Demonstrate usage of BSL at level 2 by:
- showing a wide range of vocabulary
- using correct and clear hand shapes
- using suitable facial expressions with signs
- conducting a conversation with a deaf person
- showing turn-taking and asking for clarification
- telling a short story
- answering questions on a short signed story.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is at level 2.
You will need to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and read topics and instructions for examinations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- pair/group work
- questions and answers
- role play
- conduct a conversation
- receptive skills from DVDs.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
DVDs and books are available for loan from the City Lit library.
'SignworldLearn' on-line resource is included in the course fee.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully in pass the Signature Level 2 assessments, you can progress to a level 3 certificate in BSL course.