Build a website with WordPress in three sessions
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CWS10
Available start dates
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
A fast-paced introduction to the WordPress Content Management system – Computer software that allows you to quickly and easily create and maintain websites and/or blogs. The course is taught using the free-hosted service Wordpress.com. Differences between this and self-hosted WordPress sites will be discussed.
Learners wishing to cover this material at a slower pace may want to consider the City Lit course WordPress: introduction or Design your own website using WordPress: for visual artists.
Learners wishing to use WordPress primarily to blog and who wish to examine blogging in more detail may prefer the course Blogging: write your own blog using WordPress.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• What is WordPress?
• Getting started with WordPress – WordPress.com and self-hosted sites
• Creating, modifying and deleting web pages
• Adding and modifying text, pictures and video in a website
• Styling a WordPress site using Themes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Learn the WordPress concepts of Posts, Pages and Themes
• Be able to create and manage a simple WordPress website.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner’s level course and experience in WordPress is not required, however, you need to have the following computer skills. If you do not have the following skills please contact us at email@example.com and we will advise you on a more suitable course.
• Browse the internet using a PC or Mac
• Access your email from any computer
• Able to launch Chrome or Firefox browsers
• Open two tabs on the browser at the same time and navigate back and forward between the browser’s tabs
• Look for information on the Internet
• Create new folders on the desktop
• Download files from the Internet to any specific folder in a computer
• Move files from one folder to another within a computer
• Copy and paste text from one document to another
• Follow written instructions and information from a handout or a website
• Follow spoken instructions and discuss work with your tutor.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught step by step through using demonstrations and presentations and by completing practical exercises on Computer.
The course is taught using the free hosted service Wordpress.com. Differences between this and self-hosted WordPress sites will be discussed. You will be set homework.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. You will need an email account that you can access during the lesson to activate your WordPress.com account.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
George graduated with a degree in Art,Design and Media and soon after became interested in the burgeoning web design industry. He started learning HTML and associated web design skills and later worked for design agencies and as a freelance designer on a variety of projects ranging from large corporations to small businesses. After dipping his toe into the teaching pool, George found he really enjoyed sharing his skills with others and helping them to achieve their goals and has been teaching for Visual Arts at City Lit since 2012. The thing he enjoys most about teaching at City Lit is the wide range of interesting people he meets at work.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.