What is the course about?
An Introduction to the WordPress Content Management system – Computer software that allows you to quickly and easily create and maintain websites and/or blogs.
What will we cover?
• What is WordPress?
• Getting started with WordPress – using WordPress.com and self-hosted sites
• Creating, modifying and deleting web pages
• Adding and modifying text, pictures and video in a website
• Creating and managing a blog
• Changing the appearance of a WordPress site using Themes and Templates
• Using Widgets.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Understand the WordPress concepts of Posts, Pages and Themes
• Be able to create and manage a simple WordPress website.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Beginner level. You should have basic computing skills and experience of using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught step by step through using demonstrations and presentations. Much of the work for the
course will be online and classroom based.
The course uses the free hosted service Wordpress.com. Differences between this and self-hosted WordPress sites, will be discussed. The course is intended for those who want to create and manage websites using WordPress. It not a course on how to blog.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. You will need an active email account that you can access during the lesson to activate your WordPress.com account. A computer is provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
WordPressBlogging: writing your own blog using WordPress, WordPress:introduction, WordPress: intermediate, Build an e-shop with WordPress, HTML5 & CSS: Introduction (stage 1).