What is the course about?
• A fast-paced introduction to the WordPress Content Management system – Computer software that allows you to quickly and easily create and maintain websites and/or blogs.
• Learners wishing to cover this material at a slower pace over multiple sessions may want to consider the City Lit course WordPress: introduction
• Learners wishing to use WordPress primarily to blog and who wish to examine blogging in more detail may prefer the course "Blogging: write your own blog using WordPress".
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• What is WordPress?
• Getting started with WordPress – WordPress.com and self-hosted sites
• Creating, modifying and deleting web pages
• Adding and modifying text, pictures and video in a website
• Styling a WordPress site with Themes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Recognise the key concepts of WordPress
• Be able to create and manage a simple WordPress website.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Beginner level. You should have basic computing skills and experience of using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is taught using the free-hosted service Wordpress.com. Differences between this and self-hosted
WordPress sites will be discussed. You must have access to your email.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. You will need an email account that you can access during the lesson to activate your WordPress.com account.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Blogging: writing your own blog using WordPress, WordPress: intermediate, Design your own website using
WordPress: for visual artists, HTML5 & CSS: introduction (stage 1). You might also want to explore some of our
digital marketing courses such as Search engine optimisation (SEO), Google analytics: introduction or City Lit
Pro: introduction to marketing metrics and ROI.