Business administration: getting ready for level 3 certificate in IT user skills - ICDL Advanced (intermediate)
Time: 10:00 - 14:00
Location: Hybrid (choose either online or in-person)
This course is FREE if you are employed and on a low wage or you are claiming benefits. For more information Click here
This course will be delivered online or in person. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Choose a start date
This course has now finished
- Course Code: CMS02
- Dates: 20/01/24 - 24/02/24
- Time: 10:00 - 14:00
- Taught: Sat, Daytime
- Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
- Location: Hybrid (choose either online or in-person)
Course Code: CMS02
Please choose another course date
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will provide you with the necessary background to be able to do ICDL Level 3. It will consolidate skills learned at level 2 and also prepare you for the challenging work of level 3. Areas we will focus on include: using mail merge tools, creating, manipulating and formatting tables, creating templates in Word; creating, formatting and adjusting charts, using formulae, functions and filtering in Excel; using different slide layouts and applying slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint. There will also be a brief introduction to Access including understanding key concepts in database development and usage.
You can choose to attend this course either live online or in person.
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
What will we cover?
Some of the areas covered will depend on the needs of the group but we will focus on:
• using mail merge tools, creating, manipulating and formatting tables and creating templates in Word
• creating, formatting and adjusting charts, using formulae, functions and filtering in Excel
• using different slide layouts and applying slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint
• understanding key concepts in database development and usage within Access.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel sufficiently confident and competent to go ICDL level 3
• identify the areas you are most competent in and the areas you need to develop
• use mail merge tools, create, manipulate and format tables, and create templates in Word
• create, format and adjust charts, use formulae, functions and filtering in Excel
• use different slide layouts and apply slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint
• understand key concepts in database development and usage within Access.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a preparation course for ICDL Level 3. All students are expected to have a passed the ECDL level 2 course or the equivalent or have relevant experience. You are advised to come for interview and assessment if you are new to City Lit before enrolling on this course. If you need to develop your ESOL, English or Maths skills to enable you to get the most from this course, please contact the department.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are advised to come for an advice and assessment session before doing this course. Otherwise,
please also bring a folder, pens and paper to class. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is a preparation for ICDL Level 3 - Level 3 certificate in IT user skills (ICDL Advanced).
There are many courses you can do either before, during and after this course. These include:
• Business administration: ICT skills for business (advanced)
• Business Administration with digital skills: how to be organised, efficient and customer-focused using Outlook and OneNote (intermediate)
• Business administration: how to organise and manage with OneNote, MS Outlook and OneDrive (intermediate)
• Business administration: using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access in the office (intermediate)
• Award in Digital and IT Skills: word-processing, spreadsheets, presentations and databases (level 2)
• Digital skills for business: analysing, handling and presenting data with Excel (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: visualising data with Excel - from column charts to scatter plots (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: how use Teams and SharePoint for collaboration (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: how to present and communicate data integrating Word, PowerPoint and Excel - a project-based approach (advanced)
• Digital skills for business: presenting and managing professional-looking documents with Word and Excel - from reports to newsletters (intermediate)
You can also do classes in the maths and English areas. These include:
• Maths for business with Excel: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Communication skills for business: how to tell a story with data in your writing and presentations (level 2)
• Communication skills for business: how to be clear, concise and organised in your writing (level 2)
• Core management skills: leading and building teams (introduction)
• Business administration with digital skills: communication skills in a business environment (advanced level 2)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 4582 0423.