Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VE227
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is a close study of Italic Hand. We will work with lowercase then capital letters and develop learning and skills through using different sizes, variations and by trying out a range of layouts. If you are an improver and have studied calligraphy before you can also learn other styles such as Foundational, Gothic or Copperplate.
What will we cover?
- Italic Hand
- lowercase and capital letters
- experiment with variations and developt a range of layouts.
- design and layout for personal projects
- improvers can study a range of styles and extend their use of materials.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate the basics of Italic Hand.(Lower and uppercase)
- Use a range of pen sizes.
- Make your own variations in Italic Hand
- Design and execute a finished piece.
- Produce work on a variety of papers.
- Develop more complicated layouts with a focal point and two or three blocks of text
- Use colour and gold leaf in your work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is designed for absolute beginners, but improvers are welcome. Each student will be given the confidence to develop at their own pace and not feel pressured to produce quantity over quality.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group and individual demonstrations supported by discussions and visual references, but mainly learning by doing. It is possible to complete the course without practicing outside class, however regular practice is encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some tools and materials are available for use in class. Advice on buying equipment will be given by the tutor during the course. For the first session bring a pencil (HB or B) and a note book for taking notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The following course may be of interest:
VE262 Calligraphy: gothic script
VE228 and VE241 Calligraphy and Illumination
VE290 Calligraphy class: illuminated lettering
VE265 Calligraphy: Modern Copperplate
VE287 Contemporary calligraphy: developing your style
VE260 Calligraphy workshop.