What is the course about?
This course will enable you to improve your 4 key skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) and explore further the grammar and vocabulary of Catalan.
What will we cover?
- Places in the world
- The news
- Films and novels
- Present subjunctive
- Opinion phrases + subjunctive
- Time expressions
- Vocabulary related to describing places (adjectives)
- Pronouns to define location
- Reported speech
- Modal verbs to express possibility, the news,
- Indicative verb tenses (imperfect, passat perifràstic, plusquamperfet).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- describe places (countries, cities, towns), their geography and things to do there
- give advice and recommendations when travelling
- explain the and advantages and disadvantages of travelling
- talk about what you normally do on holidays
- explain the plot of a film and a novel
- be able to read the news
- tell a story using a variety of verb tenses.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have studied Catalan for 2 years, or have the equivalent level. Please contact the languages department on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure of your level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The tutor will let you know if there is a coursebook to buy.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Catalan 3: Module 2 (course code LT321).
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details