What is the course about?
Eight peaceful productive Sundays of working with clay in the ceramics studio. This is ideal if you have never worked with clay before or are developing your clay making skills and need studio time with tutor support.
What will we cover?
We will cover:
- The core hand-building techniques: pinching, coiling, slab-building
- The process of decorating and glazing
- How to Make simple wheel thrown forms on the potter’s wheel.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Make a piece of work using pinching and/or coiling and/ or slab building techniques
- Apply surface decoration and glazes to work
- Understand the principles of working on the potter’s wheel
- Practice the steps to centring clay on the wheel and making a cylinder (beginners) and progress to more advanced forms as your skill levels increase.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable for beginners and for those that have previously had some clay work experience. You will be expected to show good workshop practice and follow the health and safety guidelines.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be demonstrations and one to one feedback and support from the tutor throughout the eight day course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A note book or sketch book and pen /or pencil. There is a charge of £2.00 per 500g for clay before firing, the porcelain charge is £17.50 per bag/ £8.75 per half bag.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Pottery Saturday throwing course –VR723, Ceramics Surface decoration on clay – VR719
City Lit Ceramics course- VR710, the Ceramics Portfolio Course-VR711 or the Diploma Course in Ceramics-VA712, all of which are structured courses that can lead to higher education or independent studio practice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details