What is the course about?
This course is about developing your work in the field of character voice, focusing primarily on voiceover for animation. This course will be delivered online.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• The 6 main elements of a character voice
• How to create original character voices
• Physicality in animation
• Scene practice with real animation scripts
• Advice on working in animation
• Advice on creating an animation reel.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Name and work vocally with the main elements of a character voice
• Recognise the archetype(s) of a given character
• Create at least 3 unique character voices
• Alter your vocal performance according to direction
• Perform a scene from an animation script
• Give and receive constructive feedback
• Record and critique your performance
• List the types of roles and characters for which you are best suited
• Plan an effective animation reel.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced class. You should have completed Character voice for animation, stage and screen: level 1, or have relevant industry experience in voiceover.
If you are new to voice classes please take a moment to read our
full sequence of voice and speech classes at City Lit (click here) before choosing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor explanation and Demonstration
Listening to and discussing audio/video samples
Recording and listening back
Q & A
Homework assignments given
This course will be delivered online. As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A smartphone or a digital recording device. Recorded material MAY be made available via Google Classroom at the end of the course in accordance with our privacy policies and data protection regulations.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Narration Skills, Reading English Literature Aloud, Voiceovers, Acting for radio
Create a Home Voice Recording Booth
Please refer to our
full sequence of voice and speech classes at City Lit (click here) as you consider which area you would like to study next.