What is the course about?
This course is about developing your work in the field of character voice, focusing primarily on voiceover for animation.
What will we cover?
• The 6 main elements of a character voice
• Physicality in animation
• Scene practice with real animation scripts
• Mic technique
• Voicing to picture (dubbing)
• Studio etiquette
• Advice on working in animation
• Character reels.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Name and work vocally with the main elements of a character voice
• Recognise the archetype(s) of a given character
• Create at least 3 unique character voices
• Alter your vocal performance according to direction
• Perform a scene from an animation script
• Lip sync to a pre-animated scene
• Give and receive constructive feedback
• Record and critique your performance
• Prepare for and take part in a mock animation audition
• List the types of roles and characters for which you are best suited
• Plan an effective character reel.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced class. You should have completed Character voice for animation, stage and screen: level 1, or have relevant industry experience in voiceover.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor explanation and Demonstration
Listening to and discussing audio/video samples
Practice exercises on and off mic, individually and in pairs
Recording and listening back
Q & A
Practice outside the classroom is always encouraged and there will be homework assignments given. As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Recorded material MAY be made available via Google Classroom at the end of the course in accordance with our privacy policies and data protection regulations.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Narration Skills, Reading English Literature Aloud, Voiceovers, Acting for radio.