What is the course about?
The course aims to:
- build on the skills/languages acquired in levels 1 and 2
- extend your range of spoken vocabulary and written characters
- increase your communicative competence and familiarise you with variations of voice/accent (male and female).
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Topics related to Elementary Chinese Readers 2 (Revised Edition) by Sinolingue, Beijing, chapters 30-31.
Pronunciation practice, more Chinese grammar and character writing, plus daily conversational topics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Buying bus and train tickets
- Get by at the doctor's
- Talk about the Chinese New Year celebrations
- Use more characters (60-80).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students will need to have completed 2 upper module 1 or have an equivalent intermediate level of Chinese. A working knowledge of 300 characters would be an advantage.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Chinese 2:upper module 3.