What is the course about?
The course aims to help you to gain a basic understanding of Chinese characters progressing towards forming words and short sentences.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course will help you to understand the following topics:
- Evolution of Chinese characters
- Strokes and stroke orders
- 24 Radicals
-6 Chinese characters
-simple greetings in Chinese.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Recognise 30 characters
- Identify radicals of some characters
- Write some basic characters.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Beginner’s course – no previous knowledge required.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions in English and be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc)
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- pair and group work
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please ask your tutor.