What is the course about?
Calling all chocoholics! How much do you really know about this amazing product that oh so easily vanishes once opened? Embrace becoming more of a chocolate connoisseur through this fun and interactive 1.5 hour class. Be taken through the background of it to truly understand it's journey and onto the most important part – tasting plenty of delectable samples!
What will we cover?
• The background to this magical substance: a brief history, why is it the ‘food of the gods’, some interesting facts you might not expect from your favourite treat.
• Be taken through how it is produced from bean to bar
• Answer some of those questions you might have always thought: is white chocolate really chocolate? Why is the cheaper stuff different to the more expensive? How do I store it properly?
• Then into the most fun part! Eating chocolates from the spectrum of different origins and types to compare and contrast.
• Get taught how to evaluate chocolate like the professional judges do.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Come away with a deeper appreciation for chocolate
• Understand more behind its roots, history and production methods
• Know how to eat chocolate like a professional and get the most from it
• Answer some questions you might have always pondered
• Roll away with a satisfied belly (no guarantees for not wanting more an hour later)!
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introduction level, no prior knowledge will be expected. We will need to know if you have any allergies beforehand.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a group with discussion, questions and group tasting. No work outside class, as it is a stand-alone workshop.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. It would be helpful to bring a bottle of water and eat a light savoury meal beforehand.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to attend one of the other courses taught by Natasha Blok including : sensory awareness and mindfulness with food and drink.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details