What is the course about?
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare the Learner to develop the skills and knowledge needed to
guide them to react safely, to pass effective messages to the emergency services, to prioritise the injured
and to give life-saving first aid in the event of a shooting, stabbing, bombing or other deliberate incident. This
combination of effective organisation and immediate treatment will help to save lives. This qualification is for all members of the public who wish to learn lifesaving skills and techniques in the event of a deliberate multiple casualty incident.
What will we cover?
- How to use the citizenAID app/pocket guide to determine appropriate actions to take in the event of:
• Active shooter or knife attacker
• Suspect bomb
• Exploded bomb
- How to use the citizenAID app/pocket guide to:
• Communicate an incident report to the emergency services
• Triage multiple casualties
• Provide a casualty handover to the emergency services
- How to open a casualty’s airway and check breathing and place a casualty into the recovery position
- Demonstrate packing and pressure into a wound using: improvised dressings; manufactured dressings
- Demonstrate the application of: an improvised tourniquet; a manufactured tourniquet.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Be able to use the citizenAID app/pocket guide in an emergency situation
- Be able to provide immediate first aid to an unresponsive casualty who is breathing
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty with severe external bleeding.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Level 2 course. This qualification is for all members of the public - no particular skills are required. Learners should be able to read and listen to information, summarise and re-present it clearly in a variety of formats. This qualification is valid for a period of 3 years. The Learner needs to retake the qualification before the
certificate expiry date to remain qualified.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Lecture, question and answer, small group and pair work when possible. Videos, OHP, and hand outs. Practical application. Assesment Record completed throughout the day.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Each learner should download the citizenAID app on their phone (Details will be given). Due to the practical nature of this course, Learners should wear appropriate clothing and footwear, e.g. trousers and flat footwear.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Level 3 Emergency First Aid in the work place. Explore a variety of courses in Health and Lifestyle course offer.