What is the course about?
Practise the skills involved in part-singing: listening, reading music and following a vocal score, good intonation, good timing, memorising parts to song arrangements. You will operate as a performance group. This term our focus will be on making recordings of our songs.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Learning to sing 4, 5 or 6-part a cappella arrangements of pop/jazz style songs
- Some work by ear only, but most arrangements are written
- Opportunities to improvise, usually during the vocal warm-up
- Maintenance of a body of repertoire
- vocal maintenance
- listening skills and awareness of other voices.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Blend your voice into the group sound
- Enjoy increased awareness of harmony and listening to others
- Demonstrate harmony parts and improved timing
- Enhance your understanding of music as a performance art, and yourself as a singer
- Perform with confidence in formal and informal settings
- Broaden your understanding of a cappella possibilities.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal for experienced and committed singers. You must be able to sing in tune, demonstrate reliable musicianship, be keen to perform in a team, and able to learn arrangements. A good sense of musical time is vital.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an audition.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn through short recorded vocal warm ups, followed by rehearsal of arrangements of pop & jazz repertoire unique to this ensemble. Musicianship training and some coordination exercises also feature.
Performances as often as possible - at City Lit and external venues.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Many singers stay in A Cappella for two or more years, as we are continually learning new arrangements.