City Lit a cappella
Time: 19:30 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
Practise the skills involved in part-singing: listening, reading music and following a vocal score, good intonation, good timing, memorising parts to song arrangements. We operate and rehearse as a performance group. This term our focus will be on making recordings of our songs. And we will tackle new repertoire.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Learning to sing 4, 5 or 6-part a cappella arrangements of pop/jazz style songs
- Some work by ear only, but most arrangements are written
- Opportunities to improvise, usually during the vocal warm-up
- musicianship topics e.g. singing modes, practice of jazz swing feel
- Maintenance of a body of repertoire
- listening skills and awareness of other voices.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Blend your voice into the group sound
- Enjoy increased awareness of harmony and listening to others
- Demonstrate harmony parts and improved timing
- Enhance your understanding of music as a performance art, and yourself as a singer
- Perform with confidence in formal and informal settings
- Broaden your understanding of a cappella possibilities.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal for experienced and committed singers. You must be able to sing in tune, demonstrate reliable musicianship, be keen to perform in a team, and able to learn arrangements. A good sense of musical time is vital.
Contact email@example.com to arrange an audition.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn through short recorded vocal warm ups, followed by rehearsal of arrangements of pop & jazz repertoire unique to this ensemble. Musicianship training and some coordination exercises also feature.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Organise to record your song parts ready for submission.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Many singers stay in this A Cappella for an extended time, and we are continually learning new arrangements.
Della has enjoyed working at City Lit for over 3 decades, teaching, managing, learning. After training in contemporary dance, Della became consumed by drama and music work. Music came to dominate, playing in bands, song writing, teaching for, and advising, the Youth Service and Adult Education. Performing and writing arrangements for pop and jazz a cappella has been a 30 year journey. So too the teaching of jazz musicianship. Gratitude is due to early mentor Amit Sen for introducing 'the jazz thing'.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.