City Lit animation: part 3
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VK103
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
Creating exciting and engaging animation projects require you to be able to work with, and understand the potential of a range of digital and stop motion animation processes
The 3 Parts course is designed to enable you to develop and build on the skills you need to be able to do this confidently and effectively.
* Module 6: Development of storyboard and Guided Final Major project
You have the option to enrol on any of the course 3 stages. However, it is strongly recommended to complete all 3 parts over the year, and you will end up with impressive work for your showreel that could prove invaluable for gaining commissions, festival entries or for gaining a place on a more advanced course.
What will we cover?
• Apply the principles of animation
• Develop and enhance your storyboard
• Create effective characters and assets for animation
• Export footage with alpha channels from Adobe After Effects and Adobe Animate
• Revise techniques in stop motion, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Animate and Adobe Premier Pro
• Use advanced techniques in stop motion, Adobe After Effects, Animate and Premiere CC as relates to your personal project.
• Research, commission or record sound
• Edit sound and moving image work in Adobe Premiere Pro CC
• Understand how to place your animation practice within the industry.
• Give and respond to peer feedback
• Create your own short animation project.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Module 6, is designed around you and your project needs. You will work with animation professionals and your peers to fine tune your project idea, revise skills, introduce advanced techniques relevant to your project and to guide you through the process of realising the animation project you want to create.
You will also be encouraged to enter your film for festivals and find out how you can place your work within the animation industry.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Plan and storyboard your own effective and engaging animation project
• Use Stop motion applications to capture stop motion sequences
• Create digital animation sequences using the applications Animate CC and After Effects CC
• Edit movies with sound
• Be aware of international contemporary animation practice
• Be aware of screening opportunities
• Plan and produce a short effective animated film
• Evaluate your own work and the work of your peers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Part 3 is suitable for those who have completed both or either Part 1 or Part 2, and for those with equivalent experience who are looking for professional guidance on their own animation project..
You should have good knowledge of and competence in using computers, including creating, saving and retrieving files.
You'll need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be happy using numbers and able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Module 6 will be taught online.
You will be taught through workshops, short lectures, handouts, practical exercises, individual guidance and assistance, group presentations and critiques. The course puts equal emphasis on skills and ideas-based thinking.
As you will be required to practise your skills and prepare and develop your projects outside the class you will need to gain access to computers.
It is an intensive course requiring you to demonstrate a high level of commitment throughout. You'll need good time management skills and be able to work independently in conducting research, practising skills, and developing projects outside the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Student preparation, practice and project development outside class times is strongly encouraged. Should you wish to practice outside class time you will need to have access to your own Adobe® Creative Cloud licence for Adobe After Effects, Animate CC, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your animation projects further on the Advanced animation course and revise and develop your skills on a range of courses in Animation at City Lit including After Effects, Animate, Animation with Photoshop, Stop Motion, Experimental animation and Premiere Pro Editing courses.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.