What is the course about?
This structured course allows you to explore key elements of interior design and decoration. Discover the step by step process, related terminology and understanding of design processes in relation to interior spaces. You will gradually develop your understanding of interior design through a series of projects embedded in theory and practical activities. Teaching will lead from beginners to intermediate level, taught by practitioners and experienced tutors.
It is a one day a week programme over two terms. It offers an excellent opportunity for those who wish to build up a balanced portfolio in interior design and decoration with which to support further study or to pursue interior design and decoration for entry into the workplace. Although this is a non-accredited course, students successfully completing the course will be awarded our City Lit Certificate - based on achievements of the course outcomes and attendance.
You can pay for your course in instalments in person at our enrolment counter. For more information, please call our enrolment team on 020 7831 7831 or email email@example.com and we’ll call you back to discuss this further.
What previous students liked most about their course: .
“We learned Interior Design on a very professional level. It helped me a lot with my work for my portfolio.“
“Having different teachers brought lots of expertise .“
“I now have a greater understanding of a client brief, how to interpret their likes/ dislikes and how long it takes to complete a project.”
What will we cover?
- Analyse design skills and process
- Develop an eye for colour, light, form, pattern, objects, materials sustainability and ergonomics
- How to respond to a design brief, develop and represent visual ideas
- Learn drawing systems for interior design and decoration, including the use of drawing board and free- hand drawing
- Research styles and concepts
- Introduction to Model making
- Taster to CAD using SketchUp Pro (see below for further study in this subject).
- Basic professional practice including building and construction terminology
- Presentation skills and portfolio development.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop an understanding of how to approach a design brief
- Know how to gradually develop a design project
- Gain an initial understanding of materials and their use
- Understand the impact of colour in relation to space
- Express ideas through drawing techniques and methods
- Realise ideas through model making
- Visualise your space in 3D using SketchUp *
- Create a portfolio of work for further study or to pursue personal development.
* Please note - this is only on completion of the affiliated Sketch Up Pro course
SketchUp Pro for beginners. (You will need to enrol separately for this course and are eligible for a 50% discount on this course.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for beginners and learners with some previous experience in the subject. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Lectures, practical work and site visits; sketchbook development. This course includes homework and assignments, reading and internet research, individual and group discussions. Although for beginners, it is an intensive course requiring students to demonstrate a high level of commitment throughout. You will be expected to have time management skills and be able to work independently conducting research, practicing skills acquired, developing and completing studio projects outside the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should purchase an A4 hardback sketchbook, tape measure and scale rule (scale rule needs to include scale 1: 50, 1:100, 1:20). You will be using some computer software including Google SketchUp. During the course we recommend that you buy an A2 or A3 portfolio as advised by your tutor. Some of the museum or exhibition visits will cost entrance fees. You will be advised by your tutor. If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students
Please note this course is exempt from our refunds and transfers policy.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00. See the course guide for term dates and further details.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details