What is the course about?
On this fast paced practical course you will learn the key skills in After Effects to transform your video projects. The course covers a range of professional techniques and process invaluable for film makers, motion designers and animators. These include planning the project, preparing your assets, setting compositions, applying and animating a range of transformations and effects on image, video and text and masking and compositing skills and rendering videos.
What will we cover?
- Planning your After Effects project workflow and organising material
- Creative project development
- Preparing your still image and film assets using Photoshop
- Working with Projects and compositions in After Effects
- Animating transformations on image, video and text layers
- Applying and animating a range of effects
- Working with masks
- Mark-making techniques (paint, eraser, clone tools)
- 3D settings in After Effects (XYZ controls)
- Keying and compositing in After Effects
- Export settings and backing up and archiving After Effects projects.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
You will learn in a relaxed environment with a small group of up to 8 people. A specialist tutor will guide and encourage you through all the learning necessary to develop your skills and questions are always welcome
- Plan, prepare and organise your assets for an After Effects project
- Create projects and compositions and import assets
- Apply and animate a range of 2D and 3D transformations to video, image and text layers
- Apply and animate a range of effects to video, image and text layers
- Create and animate masks
- Create and animate a virtual camera
- Render, back up and archive your project.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners course for those who are comfortable with working at a fast pace. You are expected to have a basic knowledge of using computers and are able to navigate and move files proficiently. Some experience of video editing or experience with other related software from the Adobe Creative Suite would be an advantage but is not a requirement of the course.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, read hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught with workshops, short lectures, practical exercises, tutorials and handouts. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Digital arts, Graphics & Illustration and Photography.
During the course you will be encouraged to practice the techniques you’ve learned outside the course time. You will be invited to develop your own After Effects project and will be able to get feedback on your project from the tutor and other students. Learning will always be far more effective if students are able to have their own copy of the software on a computer at home.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple Mac computers, but not written to.) CDs/DVDs are available.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in VK109 Advanced Adobe After Effects or VK108 Advanced animation and professional development. City Lit offer a range of courses in editing, film making, 2D and 3D Animation, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Character animation, sound, illustration, cartooning, storyboarding and adobe Photoshop to enhance your film making practice.