What is the course about?
This is an accelerated practical course in photography for those who are comfortable at learning at a fast pace. You will be taken through the key processes and techniques of photography including equipment use, composition, exposure and use of shutter speed and aperture.
Although this is a non-accredited course, students successfully completing the course will be awarded our CityLit Certificate - based on achievements of the course outcomes and attendance..
What will we cover?
- Shutter speed, aperture (f stops), camera sensitivity to light (ISO) and white balance.
- Cameras, tripods, lenses and on camera flash.
- Using different camera modes including programme, aperture priority, shutter priority and manual exposure
- Framing and composition.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
You will learn in a relaxed environment with a small group of up to 8 people.
- Take photographs using programme, aperture priority, shutter priority and manual exposure as appropriate to the scene and task
- Photograph using a tripod or flash as appropriate
- Set a custom white balance in the camera for accurate colour rendition of the scene or object
- Recognise the effect of different lighting on a subject
- Apply some guidelines for effective composition.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners course for those who like to progress at a fast pace.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, handouts and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in-group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and handouts. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web Design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are expected to bring your DSLR camera. If you do not have a camera we can make one available to you for use in the class. Please bring a memory stick for storing and uploading images (or portable hard drive – please note: PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple Mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit has over seventy different practical and theoretical photography courses.
You can search on the web site or request a printed prospectus from the City Lit home page.