What is the course about?
This is an accelerated practical course in photographing commercial portraiture.
You will work in small groups photographing each other in a variety of ways using studio lights, speedlights (camera flash) available light and a mixture of flash and available light.
What will we cover?
- Lighting for portraiture using studio lights.
- Lighting using available light.
- Lighting using Speedlights.
- Digital workflow using Adobe Lightroom and Capture One Software.
- Processing of digital images for web and print.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
You will learn in a relaxed environment with a small group of up to 8 people.
- Confidently create portraits of people using light as part of the creative process.
- Adjust colour and contrast
- Shoot with a camera tethered to a computer and use an efficient digital workflow in Lightroom and Capture One
- Process digital image files for output to web and print.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced course. You will need to have full control of your camera settings; ie be comfortable shooting in manual exposure mode. It is assumed you will know nothing about photographic lighting.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in the Photography studio.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your camera (if you have one) to the classes and you may wish to bring a notebook and pen. The City Lit has a range of Digital SLR cameras (Nikon and Canon), tripods, speedlights (flash guns), lenses and studio lighting which you are welcome to use during the hours of the class. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note: PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The City Lit has a very large range of photography and software (Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One) short courses.
Please search on the web site for your area of interest.