City Lit Pro: Infographic design with Adobe Illustrator
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VG586
Available start dates
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
Infographics are a powerful way to create visually appealing contents to present complex information. In this course we will look at Infographics as a tool to present data, inform and tell stories in a visual and attractive way to engage your audience and deliver maximum impact. We will look at many examples, see the way that different professionals work and will use Adobe Illustrator to design graphs and charts with live data as well other tools useful for this type of work.
Infographics can be used to express data, statistics, timelines, processes, relationships, correlation and tell interesting stories. This course would suit any student or professional that has a keen interest in infographics.
To be able to follow this course you should have good basic skills in Adobe Illustrator. This is an online course and you will need to have access to the latest version of Adobe® Creative Cloud for Illustrator, which is what will be used to teach this course.
Please note that versions older than CC are not suitable for this course, as there are too many differences and as a result students will not be able to perform many of the same functions on their own computers.You can download a free 7 day trial from Adobe.com, afterwards you can extend - use https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/plans.html
Unfortunately, due to the range of hardware and software used by students at home, the College is unable to provide advice on installation issues.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Infographics: Story, Types and styles.
• Telling a story with images: content, message, design and format.
• Adobe Illustrator and infographics
• Live Pie Charts, Columns, Data Markers and other graphs in Adobe Illustrator
• Working with the value axis and category axis
• Applying design to express live data
• Adding and editing numeric values
• Working with text
• Intermediate and advanced tools for Infographics in Illustrator such as blending, expansions, symbols and some effects.
• Saving and exporting your infographic in appropriate formats for Print and Web.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Gain a deeper understanding of Data Visualization and Infographics
• Develop your creativity and thinking processes
• Plan and Create a professional and engaging Infographic structure
• Use new tools and techniques in Adobe Illustrator
• Present information through visually appealing elements
• Create graphs, charts and pie charts in Adobe Illustrator using real/live data
• Add graphics to represent and express data inside graphs and charts
• Work with type in Illustrator
• Prepare work for print and web.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an Intermediate course. Basic knowledge of Adobe Illustrator Software is required. You should be able to:
• Use the Selections Tools appropriately
• Have a basic understanding of Paths, Anchor Points and Handles and able to manipulate them
• Create lines and geometrical shapes such as rectangles, squares, circles and polygons
• Use the Pathfinder tools or the Shape builder tool to merge shapes or cut shapes
• Be able to scale and rotate shapes
• Add Fill and Stroke colours to your shapes and lines
If you haven’t used Illustrator before you should complete Illustrator intensive course or Illustrator Stage 1 prior to this course.
You should have good computer skills and understanding of how to launch, create, copy and save files in a computer and be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, you will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to carry out simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught by presentations, demonstrations, discussions and exercises. One-to-one guidance and support will be given throughout. Notes will be provided.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
To participate on this course you will need access to the latest version of Adobe Creative Cloud. As a City Lit student, you may be entitled to student discount on Adobe Creative Cloud applications. Please visit the Adobe website Creative Cloud for education webpage for full details.
You will need to create an Adobe account using your City Lit email address which includes your student number. (This is in the format email@example.com). You can access your City Lit email through your supplied Office 365 account. Please check the suitability of your computer system here: Adobe system requirements Adobe Creative Cloud for Students - system requirements
*Please note that your Adobe account is not accessible to City Lit and no technical support can be provided. At renewal, you will need to create another Adobe account using your personal email.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please click here to view our courses in the Adobe Creative Cloud.
Andrea is a skilled and qualified educator, currently teaching various areas of Design and Marketing, emphasizing real world practice and the latest trends. She studied graphic design at the Royal College of Art and Education at Westminster University. She has over 14 years’ commercial experience working as an art director for high profile advertising agencies on local, pan European and global accounts in Sao Paulo, Rio, London and Amsterdam. She has also freelanced for small agencies and in-house marketing and design studios in London. She now splits her time between teaching, her own practice and her young family.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.