What is the course about?
Infographics are a powerful way to create visually appealing contents to present complex information. You will learn to use Adobe Illustrator software to design icons, graphics, type, graphs and charts to represent real data. We will also look at Infographics’ structure and how to simplify information to make it attractive, easy to understand and deliver maximum impact.
Infographics can be used to express data, statistics, timelines, processes, relationships and stories. Infographics can be applied in websites, blogs, social media, brochures, presentations, reports, adverts, posters, teaching, comic subjects, magazines, awareness campaigns, and even resumes.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Creating, opening and saving files in illustrator
• Customizing Illustrator interface
• Working with Vector graphics
• Working with Paths, Lines and Shapes
• Add colour using the Colour Picker, Fill and Stroke
• Creating simple and complex Shapes
• Converting graphics into Symbols
• Creating Graphic Styles
• Telling a story with image: content, message, design and format.
• Bringing in data from Microsoft Excel
• Creating live charts and graphs with data
• Columns, Data Markers and Pie Charts
• Working with the value axis and category axis
• Applying design to express live data
• Adding and editing numeric values
• Working with text
• Saving and exporting your infographic in appropriate formats for Print and Web.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Create and manipulate Vector graphics in Illustrator
• Optimize graphics to use in Infographics
• Simplify complex information
• Create a professional and engaging Infographics structure
• Present information through visually appealing elements
• Create graphs, charts and pie charts in Illustrator using real/live data
• Add graphics to represent and express data inside graphs and charts
• Work with type in Illustrator
• Prepare work for print and web.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Adobe Software is required but you should have good computer skills and understanding of how to launch, create, copy and save files in a computer.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions. You should be able to use numbers and be able to carry out simple measurements and
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No Other costs however, you will need to have access to the Adobe Cloud Suite (Illustrator).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in Adobe Illustrator: stage 2, City Lit Pro: Adobe Photoshop intensive stage 1, City Lit Pro: Adobe InDesign intensive, Designing for magazines and books with Adobe InDesign: stage 1.