City Lit Pro: Infographic design with Adobe Illustrator
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VG201
Please choose a course date
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
Infographics are a powerful way to create visually appealing contents to present complex information. You will learn to use Adobe Illustrator software to design icons, graphics, type, graphs and charts to represent real data. We will also look at Infographics’ structure and how to simplify information to make it attractive, easy to understand and deliver maximum impact.
Infographics can be used to express data, statistics, timelines, processes, relationships and stories. Infographics can be applied in websites, blogs, social media, brochures, presentations, reports, adverts, posters, teaching, comic subjects, magazines, awareness campaigns, and even resumes.
What will we cover?
• Creating, opening and saving files in illustrator
• Customizing Illustrator interface
• Working with Vector graphics
• Working with Paths, Lines and Shapes
• Add colour using the Colour Picker, Fill and Stroke
• Creating simple and complex Shapes
• Converting graphics into Symbols
• Creating Graphic Styles
• Telling a story with image: content, message, design and format.
• Bringing in data from Microsoft Excel
• Creating live charts and graphs with data
• Columns, Data Markers and Pie Charts
• Working with the value axis and category axis
• Applying design to express live data
• Adding and editing numeric values
• Working with text
• Saving and exporting your infographic in appropriate formats for Print and Web.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Create and manipulate Vector graphics in Illustrator
• Optimize graphics to use in Infographics
• Simplify complex information
• Create a professional and engaging Infographics structure
• Present information through visually appealing elements
• Create graphs, charts and pie charts in Illustrator using real/live data
• Add graphics to represent and express data inside graphs and charts
• Work with type in Illustrator
• Prepare work for print and web.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Adobe Illustrator software is required but you should have good computer skills and understanding of how to launch, create, copy and save files in a computer.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions. You should be able to use numbers and be able to carry out simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, and by completing practical exercises on Computer. Computers are provided for each student with all the necessary software installed. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. Notes will be provided.
Should you wish to practice homework you will need to have access to your own Adobe® Creative Cloud licence for Illustrator, which is what will be used to teach this course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A pen and paper to take notes. Step-by-step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts. You may also find that having a couple of sheets of A4 paper and a ruler to hand would also be useful. Handouts for this course will be provided electronically in Google Classroom and are best viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader (or, if you have full Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC) so may want to have Acrobat on your personal home computer.
Unfortunately, due to the range of hardware and software used by students at home, the College is unable to provide advice on installation issues.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in Adobe Illustrator: stage 2, City Lit Pro: Adobe Photoshop intensive stage 1, City Lit Pro: Adobe InDesign intensive, Designing for magazines and books with Adobe InDesign.
Andrea is a skilled and qualified educator, currently teaching various areas of Design and Marketing, emphasizing real world practice and the latest trends. She studied graphic design at the Royal College of Art and Education at Westminster University. She has over 14 years’ commercial experience working as an art director for high profile advertising agencies on local, pan European and global accounts in Sao Paulo, Rio, London and Amsterdam. She has also freelanced for small agencies and in-house marketing and design studios in London. She now splits her time between teaching, her own practice and her young family.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.