What is the course about?
London's literary heritage.
What will we cover?
1) Lecture - CityLit
2) St. Paul's & the Southbank - Shakespeare
3) The City - Dickens, Defoe et al
4) Charing Cross & Covent Garden - Kipling & Edwardian literature
5) Soho & Fitzrovia - bad boys of literature
6) Chelsea - Wilde & bohemian London
7) Marylebone - Conan Doyle etc
8) Bloomsbury - publishers & Bloomsbury Group
9) Fleet Street & Holborn Johnson, Dickens etc.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Identify key London literary figures and the buildings/areas associated with them.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
An interest in London and literature. An ability to walk for 2 hours at a gentle pace.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Initial lecture followed by guided walks.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Comfortable shoes and clothing suitable for London's variable weather.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details