What is the course about?
This online course will develop your solo and ensemble skills through studies, set repertoire and a chance to workshop your own choice pieces. Technique, articulation, musicianship and tone quality are taught through jazz, classical and popular styles.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- All aspects of clarinet technique - breathing, articulation, fingering, tone etc. - at grade 4–5+ standard
- solo and ensemble repertoire in a wide variety of styles
- sight reading
- the art of interpretation
- simple improvisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate improved aspects of clarinet technique
- Interpret a wider variety of repertoire and styles
- Demonstrate improved reading skills
- Demonstrate progress in the art of ensemble playing
- Understand and apply some basic principles of improvisation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should be able to play Bb clarinet to approximately grade 4-5+ standard, and should be at ease with note-reading.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes are taught through tutor explanation and demonstration, playing along with the tutor. You will also have regular opportunities to play individually for the group. Sessions will also include class discussion, embedded aural skills and theoretical study.
A regular practise routine is essential to make progress you will need to practise regularly outside class (ideally at least 20 minutes 4 times per week).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your own Bb clarinet and supply of reeds, and please bring a pencil to class.
For this course we will be using the following books which you will need to bring to class:
Studies for Clarinet by Eva Perenyi
All other music will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Clarinet 5 runs every term.
You may also be interested in courses that develop your Musicianship
Have you read our guide to local music shops and choosing instruments? Where to buy music and instruments This blog post lists some of our local music shops and gives specific advice on clarinets, pianos and more.