What is the course about?
This course aims to improve your fluency in reading and translating Classical Greek, to the point where you can start to appreciate original texts by Classical Greek authors. It will also help you to gain a greater knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. We will aim to cover Chapter 5 of Taylor’s Greek Beyond GCSE, and work on one or more of the Greek AS-level set texts.
What will we cover?
We shall be using the textbook John Taylor (ed) Beyond GCSE and the JACT Greek Anthology. Reading will be combined with grammar instruction and exercises.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- develop confidence in translating into Greek from English
- demonstrate knowledge of grammar and advanced verb forms, including most of the grammar and syntax needed for Greek A-level
- translate longer passages of Greek, including the sort of passages likely to feature on an A-level exam, either in the set texts or unseen translation papers, and including original texts by Greek authors.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have completed Classical Greek 4 lower module 2 or have an equivalent knowledge of the language – i.e. working towards A-level standard (with the optional aim of taking the A-level in 2020).
As this course is taught in English, you should be able to follow verbal and written instructions in English and also to take part in class and group discussions on the readings.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Whole class work and some group work; translation, grammar instruction, grammatical exercises. The course
requires at least 2 hours’ focused homework per week.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring textbooks: John Taylor Beyond GCSE and the JACT Greek Anthology.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Classical Greek 4 Upper from September.