Classical Greek 5
Time: 12:30 - 13:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: RG029
Available start dates
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course is designed to deepen and extend your knowledge and appreciation of Classical Greek authors in the original language, whilst also revising some grammar.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The authors and texts will be agreed with the students at the start of the course. The tutor will be able to suggest texts and editions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- read and translate unadapted Greek texts with confidence and enjoyment
- demonstrate an extensive knowledge of the authors’ vocabulary and style
- appreciate some of the themes and language used in the works
- demonstrate improved knowledge of Classical Greek grammar
- have a deeper understanding of the world of ancient Greece.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have studied Classical Greek for at least 5 years or have an equivalent advanced knowledge. As this course is taught in English, please read the outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support with your English skills to help you take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course combines whole-class discussion work with pair and group work. Depending on students’ wish, grammar instructions and exercises may also be given. Each week students will be assigned passages to prepare and translate at home prior to the class. Students are expected to do a couple of hours’ homework per week and participate in oral classroom activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The texts will be confirmed by the tutor at the start of the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Another Classical Greek 5 class.