What is the course about?
This course, continuing from 'Classical Greek 5: module 3', aims to improve your fluency in reading and translating Greek, and helping you to gain a greater knowledge of grammar and vocabular.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We shall be starting our first full text in Greek, Herodotus Book 1. This experienced upper-intermediate class has finished the ‘Greek Beyond GCSE’ course book, and will also be revising Greek prose composition using ‘Writing Greek’. Reading every week will be combined with grammar instruction and exercises on alternate weeks.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise and navigate features of Herodotus’ Ionic Greek
- be familiar with the idiomatic use of the cases of the noun & the article
- recognise and use adjectives in all three forms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have studied Greek for three-four years. As this course is taught in English, you should be fluent in spoken and written English and also be prepared to take part in class and group discussion on readings. Please read the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support with your English skills to help you take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Whole class and group work. We shall prepare a section of the text each week, and then go round the class hearing translations in turn. Translation, grammar instruction, grammatical exercises. Homework: about 2-3 hours every week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to buy:
- ‘Writing Greek’ by S Anderson & J Taylor pub BCP (ISBN 978-1-85399-717-4).
- Herodotus Book 1 ed G. Steadman pub Amazon (also available to download as a pdf version).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Classical Greek 5: module 2 in Term 2.