What is the course about?
On this course you will gain confidence in using the guitar in a free and creative way. You will expand your knowledge of technical matters and musical styles and broaden your guitar playing skills. You will improve your ability to improvise.
Tutor: Tony Rowden [external website].
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Guitar playing techniques including: Melody playing, free stroke and rest stroke
- Chord playing as a harmonic accompaniment, and a range of arpeggios (Em, G, C, E)
- Special effects will include tambora, harmonics and pizzicato
- Playing solos and playing in ensembles
- Harmonising melodies
- Transposition up or down by an octave
- Basic chord construction
- Styles covered will include classical, Spanish, Baroque, Renaissance, popular music arrangements,jazz style arrangements and improvisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Read from notation above the fifth fret
- Play a simple melody to harmonic accompaniment
- Play 2 octave scales E, C, G
- Play a 3 octave chromatic scale in a variety of rhythms
- Play solo and ensemble pieces with more confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have completed Classical guitar level 1, or be at an equivalent standard. You need to be able to read from notation at least up to the fifth fret, and to do so with a reasonable fluency. You should have a basic grasp of guitar playing techniques including melody playing and chord playing and some knowledge of improvisation.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practising together in class, reading guitar pieces, tutor demonstration, guided listening.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring a nylon strung guitar. All music materials supplied.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Classical guitar 2B.