What is the course about?
We will pay attention to pitch, pace and projection, with articulation work on careless formation so that you might speak more clearly and be better understood by more people.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Exercises for vocal clarity using a range of texts; the content varies depending on the individual needs of the students in the class.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- articulate standard English vowel and consonant sounds
- speak with more energy, pace and clarity
- demonstrate greater confidence in your voice and what you have to say
- communicate your ideas fluently and effectively.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for speakers whose first language is English and who want to achieve a sound closer to Standard English. It is aimed at the strong British regional accent; overseas students whose first language is English; and those who have careless and poorly formed speech. Speakers of other languages should enrol on 'English Pronunciation Stage 1'.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Speak English fluently.
• Communicate in group situations.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Read and respond to a range of texts.
• Take course notes for your own use.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through repetition, practice in pairs, and individual presentations to class. As part of the course you will need to prepare readings at home.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should have a notebook and pen and a small hand mirror.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Public speaking, or other Voice classes to enrich the basic sound produced. Your tutor will advise you.
Please refer to our
full sequence of voice and speech classes at City Lit (click here) as you consider which area you would like to study next.