What is the course about?
With individual use of a Bernina sewing machine, the tutor will guide you through sewing techniques, to include:
- Introduction to clothes making and sewing equipment
- Introduction to a domestic sewing machine
- Introduction to a domestic over locker
- How to sew basic seams for a simple skirt from a pattern with fabric
- How to sew a zip
- How to attach interfacing & facing
- How to cut out garments and use a skirt pattern. You will be a skirt with waistband and zip.
- How to sew a perfect darts
- How to attach a waistband.
What will we cover?
- Creating a simple skirt from a pattern
- Cutting out the chosen fabric
- Understanding Grain lines
- The perfect interfacing
- Adding a machine button hole
- Inserting a zip
- Attaching a waistband
- Machining a hem
- Inserting a Lining ( optional)
- Pressing the garment
- Simple techniques & tips for a glamorous look
You will have all of the skills and capabilities needed to make up your skirt again and again in a range of fabrics, and continue sewing in the future!
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Read & assemble a simple skirt pattern.
- Cut out fabric correctly adhering to ‘grainlines’.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to sew a zip, button hole, waistband and hem techniques.
- Produce a skirt by using the above techniques.
More advanced learners will:
- Produce another skirt in your own fabric and pattern with some embellishment techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for beginners, no knowledge of clothes making or sewing is necessary. You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written instructions. General knowledge of a sewing machine is advisable.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic sewing equipment will be provided. Calico will be provided for the 1st skirt.
You will need the waist and hip measurements. You will need to buy fabric for your specific skirt and a simple skirt pattern to suit your tastes. Guidance will be given in week one for purchasing the correct style of pattern, the correct type and quantity of fabric, matching threads. You will need to bring your purchased pattern to session two.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VX346 Intermediate clothesmaking I
VX445 Advance clothes making II
VX055 Introduction to pattern grading.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details