What is the course about?
With individual use of a Bernina sewing machine, the tutor will guide you through sewing techniques to make a unisex ‘’Vest/ Gilet’’ outdoor vest pattern:
• Overview to advance sewing and sewing equipment
• Familiarize with garments construction (you will be making a sleeve or sleeveless outdoor vest/ gilet waistcoat)
• How to assemble a commercial pattern. You will be making simple summer vest suitable for men or women, - with sleeves or sleeveless
• How to sew fastenings
• The perfect interfacing.
What will we cover?
• Creating a simple a vest from a commercial pattern ( the pattern will be provided )
• Cutting out the fabric
• Understanding Grain lines
• Inserting fastenings
• Machining a hem & pockets
• Pressing the garment
• Simple techniques & tips for a glamorous look.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Have an understanding on how to sew a simple unisex vest
• Learn a new skill
• Have the ability to make an item in your own fabrics
• Read & assemble a commercial pattern
• Cut out fabric correctly adhering to ‘grainlines’.
• Produce several samples techniques
• Demonstrate knowledge and ability to sew a unisex vest with neat seams & hem techniques.
• Produce a finished glamorous item by using the above techniques.
• Meet other creatives
More advanced learners will:
• Produce an item with some embellishment techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable to those with advance sewing experience & confident in using patterns. You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written instructions. This workshop is not suitable for beginners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. You will need a sewing machine to finish some of the work at home. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic sewing equipment will be provided. A simple vest/jacket pattern will be provided & also basic material for the toile, you will have to buy extra material. Guidance will be given in week one for purchasing the correct type and quantity of fabric, matching threads and any specialist needles.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VX342 Sewing on Sundays III
VX056 Introduction to pattern grading
VX480 Make a Kimono.