What is the course about?
With individual use of a Bernina sewing machine, the tutor will guide you through sewing techniques to make a soft tailored jacket:
-Overview to advance soft tailored summer jacket and sewing equipment
-Familiarize with jacket construction
-How to assemble a jacket pattern. You will be making simple summer jacket- with sleeves or sleeveless
-The perfect interfacing
-How to sew fastenings
-How to sew neatly a lining
-Fast learner will be able to add embellishments.
What will we cover?
All techniques in-between will be covered including collars, lapels, sleeves & pockets to enable you to make a perfect jacket.
- Creating a simple summer jacket from a commercial pattern( the pattern will be provided )
- Cutting out the chosen fabric
- Understanding Grain lines
- Inserting fastenings
- Machining a hem
- Pressing the garment
- Simple techniques & tips for a glamorous look.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Have an understanding on how to sew a simple summer jacket
- Learn a new skill
- Become comfortable in soft tailoring - learn all the different techniques
- Make a tailored jacket in your own fabrics
- Read & assemble a jacket from a commercial pattern using soft fabric.
- Cut out fabric correctly adhering to ‘grainlines’.
- Produce several samples techniques
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to sew a simple jacket with neat seams & hem techniques.
- Produce a finished glamorous jacket with or without sleeves by using the above techniques.
- Meet other creatives
More advanced learners will:
- Produce a jacket with some embellishment techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable to those with advance sewing experience & confident in using patterns. You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written instructions. This workshop is not suitable for beginners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. You will need a sewing machine to finish some of the work at home. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic sewing equipment will be provided. A simple jacket pattern will be provided & also calico for the toile, you will have to buy extra material. Guidance will be given in week one for purchasing the correct type and quantity of fabric, matching threads and any specialist needles.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VX445 Clothes making III
VX055 Introduction to pattern grading
VX434 Introduction to fashion styling.